Hong Kong, China. April 9th, 2010
|Name||Hong Kong Clean Air Network|
|Aim||Mission statement: “CAN is a network bringing together and amplifying the voices of individuals, groups and organizations and together we urge the Government to act immediately to clean our air.”|
|Since||founded in July, 2009|
|Staff||around 10 staff include some irregular interns and volunteers|
|People reached||20,000 members but their actions, especially their recent messaging campaign have touched virtually everyone in Hong Kong society|
• Hong Kong air pollution causes three (avoidable) deaths a day, more than 1,100 per year.
• Hong Kong’s air is three times more polluted than New York’s and more than twice as polluted as London’s.
• By WHO standards, Hong Kong’s air is only healthy 41 days a year (according to data in 2006).
• 53% of the time, the majority of Hong Kong air pollution is attributable to local sources.
• Although overall emissions tonnage has fallen in the past 15 years, roadside pollution has not improved. Because of its high concentration in close proximity to us, roadside pollution poses the biggest threat to human health.
• Sign The Petition for Clean Air at www.hongkongcan.org if you haven’t already.
• Join our Facebook group at www.facebook.com/cleanairnetwork.
• Follow us on Twitter at http://twitter.com/cleanairnetwork.
• Forward www.hongkongcan.org to all your family and friends and ask them to sign the petition.
• Print out the petition and distribute to friends, colleagues and classmates so they can help us collect more signatures.
• Invite organizations you belong to such as your school, company, rotary group, residents’ association, etc., to send a message encouraging members or employees to sign the petition and become Friends of the Network.
• Post the petition on the bulletin board of your building, school, office or club.
• Give this kit to your doctor and ask if it’s possible to encourage patient sign-ups at his or her clinic.
• Donate to Clean Air network at http://hongkongcan.org.eng/donate/.
You CAN make a difference!
• Write to your LegCo members. A directory of all LegCo members can be viewed at http://www.legco.gov.hk/general/english/members/yr08-12/mem_cd.pdf
• Write to your District Council members. A directory of all DC members can be viewed at http://www.districtcouncils.gov.hk/central/english/welcome.htm
• Volunteer at CAN.
• Introduce us to your CSR director by emailing email@example.com.
• Organize a talk or presentation to your school, company or association.
• Tell us how we can inspire the community more effectively by sending us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org